Modbus/TCP driver 5.11 error with iX RT 1.31

Discussion of configuring and troubleshooting communication to PLC's or other devices using iX Developer.
fsturlese

Modbus/TCP driver 5.11 error with iX RT 1.31

Post by fsturlese »

Hello,

we found that when running a project compiled with the Modbus/TCP driver version 5.11 on a target PC with iX runtime 1.31 (that has the driver 5.07 as the default driver), it doesn't work (error connecting with driver, then comm err on all stations).

Is this a known issue?
Is there any way to update only the drivers on the target pc with iX RT?

Thanks,
Federico.

mark.monroe

Re: Modbus/TCP driver 5.11 error with iX RT 1.31

Post by mark.monroe »

Not all drivers are backward compatible. Whenever you get an issue like that, we suggest you upgrade the Runtime, iX Developer and drivers to the latest version. It sounds like the Modbus driver version you are using may not be compatible with the Runtime version you are using.

You can PM me on this forum and I can send you the latest iX Developer and runtime version if you would like.
Best Regards,
Mark Monroe

Beijer Electronics, Inc. | Applications Engineer

fsturlese

Post by fsturlese »

We noticed that the version of the driver actually used by the application is stored inside the "output" directory. Yet this driver is not used by the RT, which keeps on using the version stored inside the "Beijer shared" directory instead.

We copied the driver file from the "output" directory to the "Beijer shared" directory and the project started working fine.

Is there any specific reason why the driver is stored inside the output dir but not used? Copying the file like we did is a reasonably safe procedure?

Please note that our target are pleasure boats where the size of the upgrades is a problem, so reducing the amount of data to be sent is an issue.

Federico

mark.monroe

Post by mark.monroe »

I would suggest that you upgrade the system to use the latest software. As there are many bug fixes that are not found in iX 1.31. I would not recommend that you manually move the driver files and force iX Developer to use a different driver that it expects.

That might cause problems in the future.
Best Regards,
Mark Monroe

Beijer Electronics, Inc. | Applications Engineer