Procedure for loading firmware / program onto QTERM-A7

Any discussion about hardware that supports iX Developer.
Shannon

Procedure for loading firmware / program onto QTERM-A7

Post by Shannon »

I have a few questions about loading software/firmware to the QTERM-A7. I read through the QTERM help pdf, but it seemed to not address a few things.

1. I am trying to load a program from iX to the A7 that is connected to the network I am on. My PC is plugged into a hub (not a switch) along with the A7. The A7 does not show up in the connected targets list of the download screen, and when I directly type the IP address it fails to find it. It has firmware 2.905 (QlarityCE) (1.028 BFF) listed. I am able to ping the A7, and it is on the "download application" screen.

2. My understanding is that iX uses a paid license of some kind. Is there a way to distribute the software as a single file to our customer and have them load it to the hardware as needed without making them maintain iX and a license? Kind of like the Qlarity downloader was a stand alone program that could load to the Gxx screens? If so, can firmware be loaded by the same means?

3. What is the procedure for loading firmware to an A7?

Thanks for your help.

mark.monroe

Re: Procedure for loading firmware / program onto QTERM-A7

Post by mark.monroe »

QlarityCE indicates that your A7 is not an iX panel and you can not download an iX project to it. It sounds like you have an A7 with Qlarity on it. You need to get one with iX on it. There is no way for a customer to switch the software on the unit.

Firmware and a project are two different things in iX Developer. You can go to "Project->Export" in iX Dev and put the files on a USB stick and then the user can put the stick into the iX unit and it will pull the project from the USB stick. The customer does not need a copy of iX.

It is very similar to the Qlarity Downloader. A "TransferClient" is created in the root of the Export folder that allows you to download an iX Developer project via a PC over Eithernet, exactly like you do from iX Developer.

On an A7 if you have a firmware file you just run it and it will connect to the A7 over Ethernet and update its firmware. Firmware is just the unit's OS, while an iX Developer project contains the screens that the operator interacts with.
Best Regards,
Mark Monroe

Beijer Electronics, Inc. | Applications Engineer